I am a wife, a mother, an auntie and a friend. I love thrifting, garage sales, re-purposing, creating, painting, anything that makes our little rental home more welcoming, comfortable and cozy. I have discovered the "art" of amateur photography & I love the idea of capturing the beauty in the ordinary everyday things that surround us. Blogging is a wonderful way to make new friends and share with people who have the same interests. My personal taste in decorating leans towards "casual cottage/coastal decor". I now have a small shop on etsy, called "SandySeashore" where you'll find some of my vintage finds, my photography and some handmade things. I hope you take the time to check it out! Thanks for droppin' in!

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A week in the country! So pretty!

Hello my friends! I'm back from my week in the Saskatchewan countryside with my lovely niece and her future husband Tim. It was a very enjoyable week, even though most of it was spent making over their 1970's farmhouse kitchen.
Their home is on a lovely acreage (22 acres to be exact) in Saskatchewan. It is very remote, but very much worth the trek out there. On the property they have a bungalow, a beautiful red barn, a kwansit and a garage/workshop. The home itself is a fixer-upper, which they are tackling, one project at a time.

The property has a creek running through it and Tim has dug a great little swimming hole, which is very private and picturesque. There's a beautiful double hammock hanging nearby, just in case a nap is needed after a refreshing swim. One must not be startled by the wild horses, or deer that may stop to stare while you dream the afternoon away!

Adele and I spent the week working on the kitchen, shopping for the necessary supplies, pulling barnwood off an old barn shed, visiting, talking, laughing, sweating, swatting mosquitoes, taking breaks here and there, but most of all, just enjoying each other's company. It was wonderful. Working with her does not feel like work at all.  We got a lot done and had a great time doing it!

I saw more wildlife in one week than I've seen in my whole life, not to mention a few farm animals...It was a little peace of heaven!


Take a look...


I get weak in the knees at the sight of that barn! Isn't it just gorgeous? Weathered to perfection!
 Sadie and Rambo, leading the way!


 Cookie (named for me, my dad called me that)

"Goadie"
 Ahhh. Sadie is such a great dog!
 Goadie saying "Hi!"


 The chicken coop

 Senior Cheeken (the, shall I say, rather over eager rooster!)
 The Senior and one of his ladies...


 Have a seat, relax, breathe...
and enjoy!


 A dip in the swimming hole?



Petunia
 She's so cute.


 Just hanging around in the yard.
 Deer tracks everywhere!

Rambo at rest.


 For the first day or so, I insisted Adele stop the car so I could take a picture of any deer we saw...after seeing so many I lost count, on the side of the road and on their property, I stopped taking pictures! I've never seen so many deer.
It was wonderful!


We saw a momma bear and two bear cubs on the side of the road, when we stopped momma and one cub ran into the woods, the other cub watched us from behind the trees before climbing up.














 The neighbour's property, where we got the barnwood for the kitchen wall.



 While driving into town for supplies to make-over the kitchen, we came upon some pretty scenery, abandoned buildings, an old chapel...there were so many great photo ops!
























 This little groundhog was trapped under the steps, Adele, the lover of all creatures big and small, put her gloves on and set the poor little guy free!

 I went for a swim in their swimming hole, it was wonderful! 
I felt as though it was a different era...like I'd gone back in time.















The country is so pretty! I could definitely live on the farm...maybe one day.
In the meantime, I'll dream and browse these photos now and then, to remind me of a simpler life on the farm. It's a lot of work to maintain the farm, but it's enjoyable, rewarding work. I'm so happy my niece has found "her place". It's where she belongs...with a happy heart.

I hope you've enjoyed my little photo tour of the Saskatchewan countryside.

Thanks for following, my next post will be the farmhouse kitchen make-over, don't forget to check it out.
xx
Sandra

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh I am not sure how I missed this post, these are gorgeous!!! I love the area that she lives, how peaceful and soothing and just beautiful. So much to see and so open, just perfect.
    xo

    ReplyDelete