I am a wife, a mother, an auntie and a friend. I love thrifting, garage sales, re-purposing, creating, painting, anything that makes our little rental home more welcoming, comfortable and cozy. I have discovered the "art" of amateur photography & I love the idea of capturing the beauty in the ordinary everyday things that surround us. Blogging is a wonderful way to make new friends and share with people who have the same interests. My personal taste in decorating leans towards "casual cottage/coastal decor". I now have a small shop on etsy, called "SandySeashore" where you'll find some of my vintage finds, my photography and some handmade things. I hope you take the time to check it out! Thanks for droppin' in!

Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Fence Post


Yes, this post is about fences, therefore aptly named: "The Fence Post".  Ha! I made a funny! {insert your laughter or giggle here} They are everywhere!!!




















Let's see how the dictionary defines the word "fence"...


fence

fence[fens] noun, verb, fenced, fenc·ing. 

noun


1. A barrier enclosing or bordering a field, yard, etc., usually made of posts and wire or wood, used to prevent entrance, to confine, or to mark a boundary.






verb

1. to enclose by some barrier, establishing exclusive right of possession, to fence a farm.
2. to separate by or as by a fence or fences (often followed by in, off, out,  etc.): to fence off a corner of one's yard; to fence out unwholesome influences.















 Unfortunately some places need to be fenced, like prisons, for example, for obvious reasons. But I am thinking more in the lines of pretty fences and gates. The kind used to define the lines of one's property, garden or just decorative fences. In some places barbed wire fences can even look pretty. I was reading a blog I absolutely love www.cottage960.com when I saw the "button" called "Fence Friday". Wow! there are some amazing photographs of fences from all over the world. So, it got me to thinking about how many photos I have taken of fences or gates over the years. 








They can be pretty, imposing, or ugly, but to me, they are very interesting. Some will say so much about the people who live within, and others only say one thing: "KEEP OUT".  They can be made of wood, metal, wire, cement or stone. They can be utilitarian or whimsical and decorative. They can be inviting and simple, like the white picket fence, or ostentatious like the huge stone and wrought iron ones that seem to be popping up more and more. They can be old, new, or just in need of repair, with peeling paint and broken pickets. Some are threatening, made of stone and topped with shards of broken glass. Others are covered in vines or flowers, with a lovely scent that says "Welcome".
They are meant to offer security to children so that they do not wander off into the street, or to protect property from intruders, like the tall fence with the huge barking dog behind it. Sometimes they are just meant to separate your property from the neighbor's and offer privacy. 
                                                               Remember this guy? 
                 Wilson, always offering his wise advice to his neighbor, Tim. 








                                        
Some say "Good fences make good neighbors", or "the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence, but you still have to mow it!".  



























So what do you think? Which type of fence do you prefer?  Do you have a favorite?

 I'm not sure myself,
 let's just say:  "I'm still on the fence about it!"  ;)

 Have a great day!
 
























                        I hope you've enjoyed this post! 

                      Thanks for following!

xx
 Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment