I am a wife, a mother, an auntie and a friend. I love thrifting, garage sales, re-purposing, creating, painting, anything that makes our little rental home more welcoming, comfortable and cozy. I have discovered the "art" of amateur photography & I love the idea of capturing the beauty in the ordinary everyday things that surround us. Blogging is a wonderful way to make new friends and share with people who have the same interests. My personal taste in decorating leans towards "casual cottage/coastal decor". I now have a small shop on etsy, called "SandySeashore" where you'll find some of my vintage finds, my photography and some handmade things. I hope you take the time to check it out! Thanks for droppin' in!

Friday, April 1, 2011

Let there be light!!! I love quirky lamps!

 I've posted these lamp projects on my facebook page before, so if you've seen them there, I apologize for the repeat topic...However there is a different one I've posted here.



In addition to their practical purpose of providing light, lamps can be fun accents to any room. I've seen so many beautiful lamps, in shops, thrift stores, garage sales and flea markets, I have to stop myself...I think it's an addiction!

Here are a few of my lamps, starting with the large bottle lamp.
I found this large "rippled glass" bottle at a garage sale for $2. Right away, I knew what it was going to be.
A beachy lamp!

Here's what I started with:

 I love the rippled glass, it reminds me of the ocean.
 I washed the bottle, let it dry, put some sea shells in it, and added the electrical to the top, with the cord on the back. Unfortunately I don't have a tool to drill a hole in the glass (I'll take it in to a shop and have it done one day). My husband made me a wooden piece to glue to the top of the bottle to which I attached the light socket.
 I already had the old Ikea wicker lamp shade.




I love how it looks.



Then, one day while in the S.P.C.A. thrift store, I found an old lamp, with a clear glass orb base that had a very ugly plastic flower arrangement in it & had an old tattered & dirty shade...

I wish I'd taken a before picture 'cause it was UGGGGLY! Right away I could visualize it, a little cleaning, new lamp shade and replace the 1970's flowers with sand, starfish and a little beach glass.......And voila!



Isn't it pretty?
It's funny how something this simple can make you smile every time you turn it on! :)

Here's another one I got for a whopping $4 from a garage sale. 

It's acrylic, not glass, but looks like glass.

And last, but not least, my quirky little phone lamp! I found this one at a flea market for $2.
 The lovely old lady that was selling it had no idea if it worked, and there was nowhere to plug it in to try it out.
I couldn't resist it. I took it home, plugged it in, and couldn't figure out how to turn it on!!! LOL
So, I started dialing 1...2...the light came on!!!
So, to turn it on/off you have to dial 2!
How cute is that? Love it!
Hope you enjoyed my little ramblings about lamps!
xx
Sandra

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely cute lamps telephone toooocute

    ReplyDelete