I am a wife, a mother, an auntie and a friend. I love thrifting, garage sales, re-purposing, creating, painting, anything that makes our little rental home more welcoming, comfortable and cozy. I have discovered the "art" of amateur photography & I love the idea of capturing the beauty in the ordinary everyday things that surround us. Blogging is a wonderful way to make new friends and share with people who have the same interests. My personal taste in decorating leans towards "casual cottage/coastal decor". I now have a small shop on etsy, called "SandySeashore" where you'll find some of my vintage finds, my photography and some handmade things. I hope you take the time to check it out! Thanks for droppin' in!

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Wild Room for Kayson

Some dear friends of ours asked if I could paint an African scene in their new adorable baby boy's room. I wasn't sure I could do it, hadn't really ever tackled painting on such a large scale. They didn't want it to be too busy, no big jungle theme, more serene and laid back. Ok, how do I go about that? Well, after much contemplation, I decided to try drawing on a piece of wood (door skins - very thin 4x8 Sheet) rather than paint directly on the walls....a little nervous about the outcome. I started with the elephant, which to my surprise, was much easier to paint than anticipated. After painting it, I coated it with a clear varnish, then to the workshop to cut the elephant out with a jig saw. That proved to be more difficult than I thought, but in the end I managed. I then sanded the edges so that tiny fingers wouldn't end up with splinters :)  I moved on to the zebra, lion cub and a still unfinished Orangutan. The Orangutan will likely not go in the room, although he is awfully cute (I'm having a problem with his nose and other eye).  The cherry will be the mother Giraffe and her baby....If I can get them right! It is a work in progress....

I've applied the animals I've finished to the walls with a few finishing nails so that they can be removed easily if necessary. The "umbrella" trees, however, ended up being painted directly on the walls. They would have required too much cutting out to be done on the wood panels. So far, this is what it looks like.

I hope Kaysen enjoy's his "Wild" room!






1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOSH THESE ARE SO AMAZING!!!!! You have blown me away once again my dear friend!!!! I bet he is just loving these and now that I see them I KNOW that you can do that giraffe! ;)
    Such a perfect room for a little one.
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete