I am a wife, a mother, an auntie and a friend. I love thrifting, garage sales, re-purposing, creating, painting, anything that makes our little rental home more welcoming, comfortable and cozy. I have discovered the "art" of amateur photography & I love the idea of capturing the beauty in the ordinary everyday things that surround us. Blogging is a wonderful way to make new friends and share with people who have the same interests. My personal taste in decorating leans towards "casual cottage/coastal decor". I now have a small shop on etsy, called "SandySeashore" where you'll find some of my vintage finds, my photography and some handmade things. I hope you take the time to check it out! Thanks for droppin' in!

Saturday, March 28, 2015

What's your happy color?

What's your "happy color", you know, that color that you like to wear, because it looks good on you...the one you like so much you've incorporated in your decor too?

Mine is turquoise, I like pretty much any variation of it, from it's lightest shade to teal. 


It reminds me of the ocean. In particular the Caribbean Ocean.
Playa Norte, Isla Mujeres, Mexico.


And I absolutely love turquoise jewelry!


Our bedroom and bathroom are painted a color called "turquoise mist". The name describes it perfectly. It's light, soft and fresh. I love it.


So, when deciding what color to paint an old beaten up accent table a friend gave me...it was an easy choice, turquoise of course!


(I forgot to take a before pic, I found this one on the internet)

The table is from Bombay Co., rest assured it isn't a valuable antique, and was in rough shape. It had one broken leg and a scarred top. I fixed the leg, removed the existing drawer pulls and filled the holes.

I mixed my paint with a little bit of plaster of Paris, it's makes it thicker and adheres better to the existing finish. I didn't sand it.

I used a light turquoise paint first, then haphazardly brushed on a darker turquoise.

I pulled out a vintage atlas, and covered the drawer fronts (with a map of the Caribbean, of course!) using Mod Podge, as a base coat and top coat. I removed any bubbles with a steel paint scraper.

 














Just look at those pretty long legs!



Above it I hung a little tiled mirror that we purchased in Mexico, and above that, the beautiful painting my friend Michelle painted for me for my 50th birthday last year.



 I am very pleased with how it turned out - it fits our home's decor perfectly. 
 "From trash to treasure".

So, what's your happy color?

Thanks for following!
xx
Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment