I am a wife, a mother, an auntie and a friend. I love thrifting, garage sales, re-purposing, creating, painting, anything that makes our little rental home more welcoming, comfortable and cozy. I have discovered the "art" of amateur photography & I love the idea of capturing the beauty in the ordinary everyday things that surround us. Blogging is a wonderful way to make new friends and share with people who have the same interests. My personal taste in decorating leans towards "casual cottage/coastal decor". I now have a small shop on etsy, called "SandySeashore" where you'll find some of my vintage finds, my photography and some handmade things. I hope you take the time to check it out! Thanks for droppin' in!

Sunday, June 12, 2011

To be or not to be - a bed with a canopy?

Yep, you already know I'm a dreamer and a romantic...One thing I've wanted for a long time is a CANOPY BED! I know, I know --Girly!!! Hey, I'm a girl, can't help that part!!! 

You see, when I was 8 years old, I begged and begged my daddy to get me a canopy bed (yes, I was into decorating that far back!). Please, please, please
daddy, can I have a canopy (princess) bed???!!!
(Okay, Okay, Sooo that's not me, or my dad, but hey, I'm telling a story here, and it's a reasonable facsimile, so just pretend....LOL)

 Anyway, getting back to the matter at hand, I begged, pleaded, maybe even did a little whining...and one day, just like that, I came home after school to a room that looked very similar to this:
 Except it was in yellow. I was so surprised and thrilled!
Mom stayed out of it, she let dad do it all himself. I think he was pretty proud of himself for getting it right, too!

From then on, I went to bed without a struggle, no problem.
This a very fond memory I have of my dad, especially because we lost him to cancer four years later. 

It was very hard for me to part with the little girl bed when I got to be about 16, but reluctantly I gave it up.

The hotel we stayed at for one night to celebrate our anniversary on Isla Mujeres had a pretty bed, it got my mind going...




Now, I'm just a grown middle aged woman who wants to pretty up the master bedroom. My husband is willing to indulge my need for "pretty".
He's a sweetheart and I love him dearly.
I want a white, "cottagy", romantic, pretty bed. That's not too much to ask, is it?

So here's my idea:
A while back I bought an old panelled door from the Restore in Seattle, I wanted to use it as a headboard...
 It's an oldie. Solid wood with 5 panels. Just the right 
size for a king size bed. Do I go with the chippy paint and just clean it up a bit or do I strip it and repaint it a crisp white?

  There are so many different types & styles.


feminine
 Simple
For me, it's gotta have the netting!

Sophisticated


Elegant

Not a canopy, but gorgeous anyway!

 I really like the lines of this one, but I'd prefer it in white.
So, maybe build something similar, but not quite so ornate?
Basic
 Beautiful! But I can't make one like it.

What do you think?

Thanks for following!
Have a great week.

Write your worries in the sand,
and cast your blessings in stone.


xx
Sandra










4 comments:

  1. I love canopy beds, but hate the posts (our room is too small and I would feel a bit claustrophobic, not too mention the bruises I'd sustain). For that reason I favour the kind similar to the first picture and have seen an example on pinterest using wrought iron curtain rods - 1 about the bed and the other further out - simple but very effective. The other kind I like is just suspending the netting from the ceiling maybe using hooks and rings at the four corners of the bed, minimal hardware, but maximum effect thanks to the netting - a more floaty effect. But I like simple and easy. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love canopy beds!! I think they are so cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOhh these are beautiful!! I have a four post bed and I love it, especially with the sheers hanging from it. This is tough, I like them all. :) I really do like the way the canopy is hanging like the one in your vacation room. I know what ever you come up with it will be beautiful!!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great bed! You always find the most interesting elements!

    natural mattress

    ReplyDelete